Friday, September 30, 2011

Pretty as a Peacock...the continuing story.



This file is inspired by a beautiful piece of art in our local Curiosity Shop at The Alliance Trader building. We bought this piece over a year ago and many, many admirers have wanted it. I shared it last year on my other blog, Designs by Laura.



My frequent response when asked if it's for sale is, "No, but you have excellent taste! And you may come visit it anytime we're open and you're in town!

More than one has examined it and taken pictures in a desire to recreate this piece which was made from Shasta soda pop cans.


So, it was my inspiration for this fun and comparitively simple design. It's a 3 part layered design and I think I will have fun playing with it and I hope you do, too! The file is here.


The additional photos are provided for the artistic folks who have come into our shop and want to try and make something similar. It's an ambitious project and I hope they will share pics!




The body has some depth to it. From what I can see it appears to be some wood pieces shaped and attached to the main piece of wood. The depth does add to the beauty and realism of the bird.


This was one of the "feathers" which was nailed on. Some are longer, some shorter...hope this helps those who are taking this project on!


2 comments:

  1. I have a peacock that my mom made from Shasta cans back in the 60’s for her mom. I can still remember the sound of her cutting the tin in the evenings when she worked on it. I would post a picture here like you suggested but I don’t know how. The back looks identical to yours but the peacock is a little different in the shape of the tail feathers. Each feather has multiple individual twisted ends. It took my mom months to finish because she was working full time when she made it. I found your peacock when I googled “peacock made from Shasta cans vintage” because I was curious if there were any more out there. Yours is the only one that came up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, thanks for writing about your peacock! You can send pics, if you like to my email bnlcrumpacker@yahoo.com and I can see if I can add them to the post later! Would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit me...please leave a greeting in your native tongue...(however, we may need a translation, too)!

I barely speak English some days but I'll start...Greetings and Welcome!