Over on the Craft Edge forum is a prolific designer named Paulo. I have downloaded many of his beautiful and intricate files. This is my current favorite and I finally had an opportunity to cut it. When I first saw it I could immediately see it in 3d and when I showed it to my husband he was amazed and was anxious for me to cut the file to see it, so here it is and here is the link to Paulo's blog post if you would like to download his gorgeous file!
Paulo's Blog link!
The overall dimension of this is 8" x 18". After cutting the first side I flipped the shape in scal and cut the second side. I used Paulo's top design and then just used shadow blackout set at 2 for the black outline.
Several have asked how I made it 3d...and it's a very simple process I used. I made a basic box shape to attach each carriage to. The width is about 4" and sides about 2" high so in the pic below the dark center is the base and the line are the cuts I made and then I just folded all four sides up and glued it together by the tabs created by the cuts and then glued it to each carriage above the wheels.
I added tabs a little lower on the wheel to stabilize it (and slightly crooked) and tabs between the horses. They were 4" in width with about an inch fold over on each side to glue down.
Then I cut a longer 4"x6" piece of black paper that rests over the top tabs to hide them and bent down in the front. It looked nicer than having the tabs show.
I created these simple tabs with a slit to help stabilize the unit. If I did it again, I think I would cut another black silhouette to double the strength. I plan to mount it to a piece of foam core board and glue the tabs down to help stabilize it. I think I may use some modgepodge on it to give it a little more strength, too.
I hope this gives those interested in making this 3d a good idea how to go about it...you could do this with a number of different images.
Thanks for visiting my blog and sharing the fun! Hope it inspires you!